The radio ministry in India originated in the 1950s, with an in-country presence taking place in 1960 in Delhi with the participation of the Evangelical Radio Fellowship of India (ERFI) and Far East Broadcasting Company (FEBC), Manila. In 1956, the first broadcasts in two languages were beamed to India from FEBC Philippines. Later, a headquarters was established in Bangalore to train local personnel in radio production. Hence, a studio and office were set up in 1964 and an Indian association was formed, FEBA India.
With over 1.2 billion people, India is home to the largest number of unreached people in the world (2201 unreached people groups). India is 80% Hindu, but still has the world’s third largest Muslim population after Indonesia and Pakistan.
India is the 7th largest country in the world (land mass); the 2nd largest in population (after China). 1,652 languages and dialects are spoken; FEBC-India is now reaching 8 of those languages. In spite of persecution against Christians, significant numbers are turning to Christ, especially in the north.
283 Million Indians
Can Hear the Gospel
In 8 Indian Languages
To Various Areas of Society
India Ministry Highlights
To communicate the Gospel of Jesus Christ mainly through radio and allied media and to demonstrate the biblical values of love, saving faith and eternal hope to change lives in the community.
- Partner with the local church and like-minded organizations in fulfilling the Great Commission
- Broadcast eternal hope through all possible means, including online, television and new media platforms to reach maximum people and language groups.
- Strengthen the lives of individuals and families in the community through strategic initiatives
- Assist the community through social action such as education, justice, health care and disaster relief, as well as spiritual and economic development.
- Constantly demonstrate God’s love using His unchanging Word in an ever-changing world.
Our programs are specially designed to suit our audience in their own culture and environment. Each letter, phone call, email and text message is responded to personally. FEBC’s uniqueness is presenting the Gospel in the context of relevance to the people, to evoke a genuine response to the Lord and enable them in turn to live a life of abundance.
We broadcast in 11 Indian languages including English through short wave and medium wave, presenting the following types of programming:
- Edification: Drama-based programs and messages by various speakers
- Pre-Evangelistic: Health, Values, Education, Social Awareness, Agriculture
- Evangelistic: Bible Studies, Discipleship
- Special Audiences: Ethnic Groups, Women, Visually-challenged
Background on India
Government: federal republic
Capital: New Delhi
Population: 1.22 billion – Indo-Aryan 72%, Dravidian 25%, Mongoloid and other 3% (2013)
Language: Hindi 41%, Bengali 8.1%, Telugu 7.2%, Marathi 7%, Tamil 5.9%, Urdu 5%, Gujarati 4.5%, Kannada 3.7%, Malayalam 3.2%, Oriya 3.2%, Punjabi 2.8%, Assamese 1.3%, Maithili 1.2%, other 5.9%
Religion: Hindu 80.5%, Muslim 13.4%, Christian 2.3%, Sikh 1.9%, other 1.8%, unspecified 0.1% (2001 census)
Hear About India First!